Wednesday, June 25, 2008

American loons

You know, America has produced more than its fair share of first-rate nutcases, but in my mind no one was crazier than that first group of astronauts that packed up and set sail for the moon. Where does anyone find the courage to do something like that? They must have been frickin' insane! That's the only logical explanation. What did we know about the moon then? Nothing! Nothing!!

What if it would have been made out of glue? Sticky Elmer's-like glue? Can you imagine what Neil Armstrong's radio transmission back to earth would have been like in that case?

"That's one small step for--"
"That's one sm--"
.....
"Houston, we have a problem."

I get queasy just thinking about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Glue Mooooooon! You saw me standing aloooone, without a dream in my hearrrt, without a love of my oooooown!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in my college days, one of my physics professors was an astrophysicist. Back in the day he was tangentially involved in the NASA moon landing program. He told us one day that there was a bet going around all the moon landing scientists as to how deep the "space dust" would be on the moon. As no one had not been there, they didn't know. Apparently there were bets from almost nothing to over 10 feet deep. I don't remember his exact guess, but I think it was around 3 feet somewhere. I didn't learn much the rest of that class as I was busy imagining Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landing, sinking in and then having to dig tunnels like in a snow fort so that Neil could take one small step for man...

1:33 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

Glue Moon?! I love it -- that's brilliant!! :-)

Dave, he was tangentially involved? Sounds like CIA to me..

Are you kidding me? Those goofballs really didn't know what they were getting into?

You know, there have been times I thought I was crazy. Hell, I don't know from crazy. Those NASA whackjobs are in a league of their own!!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home