Monday, March 16, 2009

speaking of speaking..

I remember a college textbook I had once. In this textbook -- a psychology textbook, I believe -- there was an anecdote about a highly respected person who was giving a speech. As far as anyone knew, the guy was sane, sound as the British Pound. How-ever, as he got deeper into his speech, he began to explain to his audience how every song that had ever been written was about him. He ended his speech by throwing a hatchet out into the crowd (I don't believe it struck anyone). The moral of that story is/was that mental/emotional problems are very real, and some are quite treatable. In fact, I believe this fellow who was giving the speech was straightened out right quick when put in touch with the proper meds.

Anyway, that anecdote really struck a chord with me. First I thought, 'Wow, how crazy is that?' But the more I thought about it, I thought, 'How come I always miss the good speeches?'

Oh, well. You can't win them all. Neither can I. Still, even today, that guy gives me hope. Sometimes when I'm sitting through a boring speech, or worse, giving one, I'll think, 'Maybe that guy with the hatchet will show up..'

DISCLAIMER: I do not want to see anyone struck with a hatchet. That is NOT what I'm about. I'm simply a big believer in keeping things interesting.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see a hatchet, m'boy. Several.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

Blue Duck! So you've returned. Good to have you back!

Say, have you ever read Lonesome Dove?

:-)

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's just say, I didn't die in that fall. Only flaw in the book.

So,
giving yourself the hatchet job, eh?
Just when you're startin' to get interestin'?

6:51 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

I've been called a lot of things, BD, but never interesting. Gracias!

To be honest, I'm not sure which way to go right now. I'm just another mutter lost in the American Scream..

'Hello, mutter. Hello, fodder..'

Keep checking in. With supportive feedback like yours, how can I walk away?

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home