Thursday, February 07, 2008

something true

One of my favorite songs of all time is Don McLean's 'American Pie.' I don't really understand it any better than I did when I was a kid, back when the song was popular, but I think it's very Dylan-like. The individual pieces may not make a whole lot of sense (perhaps on some level they do; there are some references I am able make out), but as a collage it kind of makes more sense. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Anyway, the lyric that always stuck out to me -- and still does -- is where McLean sings, '..and I knew if I had my chance/that I could make those people dance/and maybe they'd be happy/for awhile.

When I was a kid, I'd always replace the word 'dance' with 'laugh.' I can't sing a lick, but I've always been alright at making people laugh. And I think that's also why I generally try to do that: to inject just a bit of levity into these otherwise mostly grim proceedings.

There. I've told you a secret about myself and it's all true. I doublechecked.

4 Comments:

Blogger blackcrag said...

I've never understood the lyrics to American Pie either,though there are supposed to be references to Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, and probably JFK, too.

But I'm not sure I believe your secret. Is your fact-checker trust-worthy and accurate?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

Definitely some things about the Beatles in there, too. 'The quartet practiced in the park.'; 'Lennon read a book on Marx.'

Certainly it's about the day Buddy, the Big Bopper and Valens died. but some of the lyrics have me crinkling my brow.

That secret is true, Crag. Honest. Boy, I'm that boy who cried wolf, aren't I? :-)

3:44 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

How can we be so sure?

American Pie- a great song too long to pick at a karaoke bar!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Citizen said...

No one believes me! I really am the boy who cried wolf.

This is an American tragedy in three parts. That's what this is.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home