Sunday, January 27, 2008

the stone barracudas

We're moving closer to Groundhog's Day, and I regret to announce that this year, unlike the last 10 years, I will not be donning a groundhog's suit to celebrate. Nor will I be digging, by hand, a four-foot deep trench in the tundra from which to pop out of at the anointed time. And I definitely will not be doing 'The Humpty Dance' should I happen to look down and fail to see my shadow upon popping out of said trench.

I think I've grown up, folks. Though all of the above sounds like great fun to me, I do believe that part of my life is over. How it get started in the first place, I don't know. You'd think I would have learned to avoid nonsense such as this after high school and the 'stone barracuda incident.'

It happened during my sophomore year. Being a huge booster of high school sports in general, I decided I would make the best costume ever to celebrate my school's teams. I chose the boys basketball team's season-opener to unveil my design. I worked on this costume for months, starting on it the last day of ninth-grade. I worked on it all summer and into the fall.

Finally, the big day came. I donned my outfit and trotted off to my high school gymnasium at a brisk pace. I was greeted by a good friend at the door and he gave me this look like I was crazy.

"What the hell kind of outfit is that?" he asked.

I looked down at myself proudly, stretched out my arms and the gray papier-mache dorsal fins covering them and said, "My friend, are we or are we not 'The Stone Barracudas?' "

"We're not," he said.

"Oh," I said.

From there, let's just say it was a long night, which went on to turn into an extremely long year.



I still say we should have called ourselves The Stone Barracudas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Voix said...

A truly moving tail. . .

or is it tale?

8:04 AM  
Blogger Citizen said...

Let's go with tail.

Thanks, Voix! You know me; eternally swimming against the tide.

:-)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Wait...not the StonED Barracudas?

7:58 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

No, I don't 'think the school board would have approved that.

But if I ever start a motorcycle gang -- and start smoking weed -- that name will be at the very top of our list of prospective names!

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home