Sunday, January 20, 2008

well, I'm back

'There's a UFO over New York, and I ain't too surprised.'
-John Lennon, 'Nobody Told Me.'

Well, I'm back and semi-refreshed from my mini-vacation. My thanks again to the very capable Blackcrag for filling in for me and raising the bar up from the floor, where it had come to rest -- and for directing me back to my quest to come up with 500 songs that don't suck, songs I myself would be proud to play if I were to own my own radio station.

So with that in mind, I pick up the baton again and give you the songs for today. Song #203 -- John Lennon's 'Nobody Told Me.' I've always liked this song, and I've always thought it was a pretty good response to song #204 -- Van Morrison's 'Days Like This.' (My Mama Told Me). They make kind of a nice point/counterpoint. Stuff like that always interests me. Like how in The Beatles' 'It's Getting Better,'as Paul McCartney is singing, 'I have to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time,' John Lennon pipes in, 'It couldn't get no worse.' I like it when all the bases get covered.

For good measure, song #205 is the Pretenders' 'Don't Get Me Wrong,' which contains one of my favorite lyrics of all-time: 'I might be great tomorrow/but hopeless yesterday.' No, you cannot go too wrong with Ms. Hynde and The Pretenders.

Back to the more far more serious subject of UFO's. Apparently, John Lennon SAW a UFO over NYC (in retrospect, I think capitalizing 'saw' in this sentence MAY have been overkill) back in the 70's. That's very interesting to me and also where I think I need to go with my next post. I'd be curious to know how many of you have seen UFO's in your life. I'd also be curious to know how many people think I've seen a UFO in my life.

Here's a hint: I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home