Saturday, January 26, 2008

Some Might Say

'Some might say sunshine follows thunder/go and tell it to the man who cannot shine.'
-Oasis, 'Some Might Say.'

That's the song for the day -- 'Some Might Say.' #200-something, if my figures are accurate. It's not a classic, but I've always liked it.

I don't have a lot of time today, but I do have a grievance to air. Here's that grievance: Darryl Hall and John Oates are NOT in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Is that fair? Is this wise? My answers to those questions are 'no' and 'of course not,' respectively. Darryl Hall and John Oates were very big back in the 80's. They were a precursor to bands like Bon Jovi and Nickelback (wait a minute, maybe Darryl Hall and John Oates SHOULDN'T be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)...

No, no, scratch that. They totally should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They were huge back in the day -- bigger than Miami Vice! They had a lot of Top Ten Singles, a handful of #1 hits and they were very influential. Their music might not hold up as spectacularly as some music does, but they were a bridge from where we were to where we are. A necessary connection.

A few years ago I was watching a show on rappers and quite a few of them marvelled at the opening hook of 'I Can't Go For That (No Can Do).' So they're getting some love from rappers. If they were complete and total wankers would that be happening? Of course not.

No, I'll tell you the reason Darryl Hall and John Oates are not in the Hall of Fame. It's not pretty and I don't feel good about being the first one to say this, but the reason Darryl Hall and John Oates are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is none other than...John Oates's mustache.

That's it, plain and simple. If they were just two fresh-faced, clean-cheeked rockers, they'd be living large in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame right this very minute. Instead, only one of them is clean-shaven and that's why they have to buy tickets to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame just like everyone else.

Is that fair, I ask you? No. It's not fair. They're going to keep out a well-established band with a pretty solid track record just because half of this dynamic duo has a thing for cheesy mustaches? So it would seem. Well, I'm sorry, but I can't go for that.

No can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home