Tuesday, December 30, 2008

as the New Year approaches

This is it, good people; my last post of 2008. And it's just a pinch bittersweet. For while a New Year offers new opportunities, one also has to recognize that a temporal window has been closed -- forever. Or until someone patents that elusive flux capacitor.

Still, I'm not really one to look back. I was once so sentimental I almost couldn't function in this oh-so fleeting world. Now? You could say I've toughened up just a little bit. I've built up some calluses in my soul.

That's not to say I can't get hurt. I can get hurt. I get hurt all the time. Like today, for instance. You see, originally, to celebrate the ringing in of a New Year, my wife and I were going to go wind-surfing with Helen Gurkelbee in the Columbia Gorge. But today the phone rang and it turns out Helen's board has a major crack in it. Long story short? Adios, wind-surfing in the Gorge.

Still, I'm big on flexibility. A person should always have a contingency plan -- and we did. So this year, instead of wind-surfing in the Columbia Gorge, we'll have our traditional New Year's celebration (i.e. doing jello shots and playing some rousing games of Hungry Hungry Hippos) at home -- with Helen G. And I, for one, cannot wait.

Happy New Year to whomever might be reading this, and, to all, a good (and safe) night!

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Careful- I hear Helen cheats!

Happy New Year!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

Thanks, Missy. You can bet I'll be keeping an eye on her!

Ha-p New Year to you!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home