Friday, October 10, 2008

potpourri

"...the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5057/

"Whatcha gonna do when everybody's insane?"
- Heart, 'Crazy on You'.

First, a warning: this post is going to be all over the place.

Let's start by sending out a little poem to the folks on Wall Street -- and Main Street. Apparently, it is a small world after all and we really are all in this together. For better and for worse.

Parachutes v. Umbrellas
You didn't complain
when the river
ran full,
so bear it
when it trickles
down low.
Over time,
recall if you will,
a river's habit
inevitably
is always
to
refill.

Now that I've soothed the markets, I'll go on to mention that the Wilson sisters (of Heart fame) kept me from getting into an accident yesterday. I was stopped at a red light and just about to turn onto the entrance ramp of 494. Generally, even though people making the left turn onto 494 were coming at me, I would have weaselled my way into the crowd and been on my way. But, just then I heard a funky little guitar intro. It kind of stopped me in my tracks. You see, I'm one of those shallow people who takes great pride in being the first one to identify a song when it comes on the radio. Anyway, this funky guitar intro sounded familiar, but I couldn't be sure. So I settled back in my seat for a listen. Sure enough, just as I had suspected (honest!) it was Heart's Crazy on You. And just as that jolt of sweet recognition -- and tasty pride -- hit my system, a car that I didn't see at all sliced right in front of me -- out of nowhere! 9 times out of 10 I would have been right there, just waiting to get blindsided. But not yesterday. So thank you, Wilson sisters. I'm sure your producer thought that funky guitar intro was gratuitious. Me, I'm glad you kept it in there. Plus what a great song! And right after that, they played In a Big Country. That's a real nice two-fer.

Lastly, another poem.

Code of Conduct
Do you know
what I hate?
I hate when your
psychologist
approaches you
at a fancy restaurant,
points at you,
then turns to the crowd
and shouts,
"HE'S completely insane!!"

That's not professional.
I don't care what
anyone says.

7 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

did I ever tell you that "In a Big Country" is a big point of contention in my marriage with Todd?

I am not a fan of that song at all, but Todd thinks it is a fine song.

When the song comes up around others, nearly everyone sides with Todd.

What am I missing???

I am so glad Heart saved you!

And what are your project runway thoughts?

8:09 AM  
Blogger Citizen said...

I didn't know that, Missy. And I can't say what you're missing about that song. All I know is it's quite upbeat and tends to leave me in a better mood.

On a sadder note, the lead singer of that band committed suicide a couple of years back. To me, that puts a bit of a wicked stamp on that song's passionate, unrestrained energy.

And Project Runway? Unless she really bobbled her collection, Leanne can and should win. Week in, week out, she's been the best. Kortu and Kenley both have talent, but I'm pretty sure Leanne is the wide-spectrum breakout star, whereas the other two have strong niches.

Your thoughts on that?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Citizen said...

I apologize: Kortu should have been spelled Korto.

9:03 AM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

Well, Dan, thank your favourite diety for little coincidences and great guitar intros!

As for you, missy, maybe you should listen to the bagpipe-sounding guitar solos, or listen a little closer to the lyrics. Those are the two things I appreciate most about Big Country's one hit, along with the general boppy upbeatiness of it.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

Already taken care of, BC. That account is squared.

You mean those aren't bagpipes? What gives?! How could I have been so deceived?

7:55 AM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

Hey, I thought they were bagpipes for the longest time myself! You weren't the only one fooled.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Citizen said...

I feel so...used. ;-)

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home