Sunday, January 25, 2009

engineering feat

Today I would simply like to make note of one of the greatest engineering feats of our time. It's an accomplishment, I feel, that is often overlooked. But no less impressive for that. For you see, on this very day 95 years ago today, The Pantomime Canal was completed.

The skeptics scoffed and the critics said it could never be done. But a dedicated team of mimes said...well, they didn't say anything. They simply joined hands, and created a post-modern marvel -- under budget and years ahead of schedule, might I add.

Regrettably, no evidence of The Pantomime Canal remains in existence. But for one brief, glorious second it was there, looming over our collective unconscious -- and that's all that matters. The mimes who did this? Their names are forgotten, lost to history. No one probably knew them in the first place. It's not important. What is important is how they showed us what can be done if we all could just learn to think outside the box.

Please join me in a moment of silence to honor these heroic men and women.

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I had to try to explain what a Mime was to my nephew last weekend. I didn't get into this part of their history or how many people hate them.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Citizen said...

I think that was very generous of you, Missy. Very humane, very kind.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home