Sunday, December 02, 2007

snow day!

It snowed yesterday! Nearly 4.76 inches if my most recent calculations are correct. Just about the right amount for everything. Not too much snow to shovel/snowblow, yet enough snow to snowboard/ski. El perfecto!

I'll have to be fairly brief today. We're about to run to the store to get the fixings for beef stew. Beef stew and winter go together like hand and glove. So that's what we're doing. I may also -- God forbid -- get some writing done today.

All this snow has me thinking back to a day about three years ago when we were in Winnipeg visiting friends. One of my friends was working a job he hated then and I gave him a ride to work on a very wintery Sunday morning. On the way back, driving through snow-cluttered streets with fresh snow still swirling down, a song came on and it was the first time I'd really 'heard' it, though I had listened to it many times before. The song was 'Waiting Line' by Zero 7. It's on the "Garden State' CD and, let me tell you, it was the perfect song at the perfect moment. It's a very trippy, laid-back and introspective tune. And as I was trying to work my way back to my friend's apartment without ending up in Saskatoon, it kind of crystallized the moment in my mind. I'll never forget that car ride or that song for as long as I live.

You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll shut my big yapper now. I'll close by making that song (Waiting Line) #181. Winnipeg in the winter is an interesting thing (I'll confess: I like Winnipeg). It's either like Boston, but with more snow or like Wisconsin, but with less cheese.

Quite honestly, I can't decide which.

1 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I enjoyed the snow day too. I made up a nice comfort food lunch and the cat and I did chores around the house and watched movies.

I think less cheese.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home